Or, that little nagging voice inside your head--telling you what you should be doing instead of what you want to do.
Why is it so hard?
What is it about knowing that it would be better for ourselves if we:
- Ate good food
- Went to bed on time
- Laid off so much social media
Let's be honest, we all know what we need to do. Often we even know how to do it.
So where is the disconnect?
James Clear writes in Atomic Habits that to create habit change, we need to basically take action before we take action. That is, take a few steps to set ourselves up for success.
"I need to eat better".
Let's define "better".
- Higher quality food
- Less food
- More food
- Meal Prepping
It's not hard to go down a wormhole, but these are a few things that we should clarify in advance. A couple of minutes googling "nutrition" or reaching out to someone who can help (like yours truly). can be a very good step in the right direction.
Once you have the info that you need, it's time to set up some things that will help you get the result you want. These could look like:
- Prepping a meal for the week (lunch or dinner)
- Cooking some staples in advance (grilled chicken or prepping a large salad to last a few days in the fridge
- Taking lunch to work
- Writing up a plan to set meals and snacks for specific times
- Setting alarms in your watch or phone as a reminder for snacks and meals to help you stay on course.
Again, taking action before we take action. Now comes the fun part:
Laying out the plan:
Here are some simple steps to setting up your action plan.
Laying out the plan
- What's the goal (Desired result)
- Lay out the steps (actions ) you will take to achieve the goal.
- Take Action!
It really is that simple.
Pro tip--set up the things that you will do--rather than the things you won't. Execute on the steps and you are well on your way to achieving your goals.
What I have written is very simple--but not always easy--life happens. However--understanding the goal, and then setting the steps needed for consistency in achieving that goal will lay a path for you to follow to achieve your desired result. Good luck!