5 steps to better sleep
We all need it. We just never seem to get enough. Here’s the truth. It’s not only a crucial part of fitness, it’s essential for life. Regardless of your activity level, your body needs to recover. Sleep plays a big role in that process.
Here are some basic steps to help you insure that you get the sleep you need.
- Create a “Bedtime Routine”. Start at the same time each night. Set up an order of things that you do before you go to bed. This will help your body create a habit and understand that it’s time to go to sleep.
- Turn off electronics. TV’s, phones, tablets. They have screens that emit stimulating light. These lights can make it harder for you to relax and fall asleep, so shut ‘em off (or at least switch to a low light filter)
- Keep your room cool and dark. No one likes waking up hot. A cool room will help to keep you asleep. While you’re at it, make it dark. Super dark. Even small amounts of light can be stimulating so close the curtains and turn out the night-light.
- Cut out any beverages that can interfere with sleep. Alcohol and caffeine can interrupt sleep patterns well ahead your bedtime so it’s usually best to avoid these altogether.
- Before you turn the lights out, reading (especially fiction) can calm the brain and help it to relax. 10-20 minutes of reading is a good start to helping your brain and body ease into sleep.
There you go Rip Wan Winkle. Maximize your performance in the gym, the office and your life by maximizing your sleep.